There is no debate that there is a lot of press on Guns and Gun Control right now and that tragedies like Sandy Hook are just heart wrenching no matter what side of the debate you fall on.
What is absolutely irresponsible about the whole thing however, is that people with opinions on both sides are just spouting off about what has to be done or not done without digging deep into the facts and statistics.
The news media slants statistics to fit their audience (Oh, yes they do), the left wingers are visible spouting that everyone has guns and is going to kill people while the ring wingers state that the only way to protect America is for everyone to carry a gun. This all the while people all over Facebook are blowing up their status updates with name calling. Oh, yeah, before I forget, next time you want to shoot me a message and call me a “Tea Bagger” check your frickin facts…..I am neither right nor left. And if you can’t come up with something better than calling people things like that, I classify you as an uneducated and insignificant contributor to the argument. Shut up in other words since you probably didn’t understand what I just said.
Now, that off my chest. Top reasons I won’t have a Gun Control debate with you…not yet anyway.
1) Neither side is looking at the facts and the true statistics. Why? Because most of them are still coming out and haven’t been fully updated. What you are seeing in the media and in newsprint are not full on sets of statistics. They are samplings. It is amazing to me how many people spout off how many crimes are committed with guns, or not, and jump on the bandwagon for either side without knowing the facts.
2) Because you cannot have a civil debate without name calling. See above. If I see another Facebook status update that refers to either side as some sort of “name” I am simply just going to drop you. What? Are you in 2nd grade? Good grief you all sound like a bunch of children out there.
3) Because you follow suit with what ever your political party affiliation wants. First, I could give a flying rips butt that Obama came out with an Executive set of Orders on Gun Control and not because I am some right wing nut job. I don’t care because it is a political stunt and nothing more. Hey, I agree we have to take a look at doing something and I will be the first one to state I do not get why anyone needs a high capacity automatic rifle….however, coming out with a set of 24 orders that don’t have a whole heck of a lot of luck fixing anything is political posturing. Don’t think so? One example. Background checks. Do you honestly think a criminal is going to think “Hey, I cannot commit this crime yet. I haven’t registered my gun.” Heck no. The ones committing most of the gun crimes don’t have the guns legally to begin with! They aren’t going to go and magically register them now as part of their civil duty. These were just orders for honest gun owners….they are not the problem. Oh, those on the right side of the isle, you are no better. You aren’t coming up with a whole lot either and doing your posturing too. No wonder this government has an approval rating between 8-9%.
4) Because you are not willing to listen to the opposing view. Gun Owners don’t want to talk control and Control Advocates are afraid to learn and fire a gun. I will give credit to one journalist from CNN. (I know, hard to believe). She had never fired a gun before and went to a training facility. She learned about safety, the guns, how to use them and when and also the view of a trained professional. She admittedly came back stating there were a lot more facts to the debate and after learning proper use, understood proper ownership better. I have to give some credit. It was a great piece and by her working with the opposing view unlike most people, she was able to create an educated piece. Now, I bashed the media above…no need to point it out. This was the one bright spot I have to say.
5) Finally, because people are making this about the death of children. I’m sorry, do not use the kids of Sandy Hook for the debate. It is insensitive to the families and poor posturing. These kids were tragic victims and their families need to be loved right now…not political pawns in a debate that will draw out for years to come. Lets let them grieve.
So, I finish with this. We need to step back and look at what truly will fix some of the challenges. It isn’t taking guns away from Americans. It isn’t arming everyone to the hilt either. There is a sensible middle ground but it won’t be found easy, nor quick. Thats a fact.